This list is not inclusive - just a few creative ideas, and staying away from the obvious no brainers like lemon bars, lemonade, lemon juice, lemon water, etc...
1. y'all know I love B&B applications so the first has to deal with EXFOLIATION! You can mix lemon pulp and brown sugar to exfoliate and clean your feet. After rubbing the pulp and brown sugar on your tootsies, rinse and follow up with your favorite moisturizer. A nice variation on this is to soak your feet in a bowl of milk, and then use lemon wedges on the calluses and rough patches. The lactic acid of the milk, followed by the citric acid in the lemons will exfoliate your feet and whiten yellowed toenails. How's that for a two-fer?
2. Kill bad breath. Squeeze a lemon for the juice. gargle with it and say good bye to halitosis (temporarily). If you're at a restaurant, you can put the lemon wedge from your water or iced tea in your mouth and rub it on your tongue and teeth.
3. Speaking of odors, you can also get rid of fish, garlic and onion smells from your hand by soaking your hands in lemon juice for a few minutes, or cutting a lemon open and rubbing it in your hands.
4. Brighten your white laundry by adding 1/2 Cup of lemon juice to the wash cycle of a normal laundry load.
5. Soothe a sore throat - my favorite combo involves ginger, water, lemon, and honey. This hot drink will soothe your throat, provide vitamin C, and clears up some of the congestion.
6. Minimize food oxidation - don't know what to do when your apples, pears, or gaucamole turns brown? Prevent or minimize the browning by sprinkling with lemon juice before serving. Also works with potatoes and cauliflower (i.e., keeps them white).
7. Clean your microwave - Squeeze your lemon to obtain the juice and place the juice in a bowl with 1 cup of water. Microwave for a five to ten minutes. The condensation from the lemon water makes the microwave easier to wipe down and also deodorizes it.
8. Garbage disposal cleaner- Take the lemon from #7 and cut it up into smaller pieces. Run those pieces in your garbage disposal to clean and freshen it.
|Image from Penny Sanford Sikes, 2009|
10. Refresh your cutting board - To get rid of the smell and help sanitize the cutting board, rub it all over with the cut side of half a lemon or wash it in undiluted juice straight from the bottle.