Saturday, February 19, 2011

Make your own gummy bear candy at home!

This is my next craft project with niece and nephew. I need to get gummy bear molds.   If you try this out, let me know how it goes for you.

 image from popfi.com by Stephanie Sturgis. 
Gummies are one of my favorite candies - they are fat free!  I love sour patch kids so I will look into how to make them salty and sweet.  For the time being, lets stick to gummies.   In this tutorial, we are using gummy bear candy molds, but you can feel free to substitute with other molds (little cola bottles, stars, hearts, flowers, etc).  The candy making section of Michael's has a nice mold selection, or you can go online for even more choices.  The recipe below has no preservatives so eat them fast! I'm not sure what the shelf life is but if you happen to have any leftover, you can store them in the fridge.



Ingredients
  • 1 small box jello (with sugar)
  • 7 envelopes unflavored gelatin
  • 1/2 cup of water
Procedure
Mix in a saucepan until the mixture resembles playdough. Place pan over low heat and stir until melted. Once completely melted, pour into plastic candy molds, and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.

Gummy bear molds are available here.

The recipe above is from Carroll's Desserts/Baking Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to give a handmade gift?

About Me

i love to create and make. A few of my favorite things to make are soaps, dreamy creams, bath and body products, knitting, beading, paper crafts, and more! I also teach classes and offer private lessons in candlemaking, soapmaking, creams and lotions, body scrubs and other bath time treats (teas, milks, melts, bombs).